I will try and find a good one for you, let’s hope I’ll have luck! Oh, and thanks!
Hi there! Thanks for sending me your question. :)
I will say, it’s a huge question with tons of possible answers, especially depending on your skills and goals. Here are a few pieces of advice:
- Make books as often as you can to practice and improve your skills—take classes, use tutorials, just keep doing it.
- Be willing to experiment—try out different forms and materials just to see if they work. Some won’t, but some will be awesome.
- Get comfortable with starting small—it will take you awhile to build your skills and your business.
- Find good venues and ways to promote yourself and your work.
- Give good customer service.
- Charge prices that are fair to you and your customers.
- Seek out other book artists and binders (Tumblr is awesome for that) to trade ideas and troubleshoot with.
Those are pretty broad ideas, but I hope that they help some. I’ll also throw this out to the other book-y folks on Tumblr—anyone have advice for a bookbinder starting out?
P.S. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
You’re really welcome! And thank you.